Monday 12 January 2015

On Looking at It from Another Point of View

Breakfast:  Grape and Strawberry Fruit Salad

Snack:  Muller Light Toffee Yogurt and a banana

Lunch:  4 Ryvitas with 4 laughing cow blue cheese triangles and ham

Dinner:  Chicken with a side salad

Snack:  Muller Light Vanilla with Dark Chocolate Sprinkles

Exercise:  I should have gone to circuit class but pussied out

Thoughts:

In 2002, Dance Group DB Boulevard released a song called "Point of View" that is one of the most important songs in my life.  This song got put on the back burner in my life recently and I only stumbled across it again the other day by chance.  I listened to it and the lyrics and I instantly felt renewed and refreshed.

This song basically says that no matter what your situation in your life, step back and look around.  

"Can't you see life's easy
If you consider things
From another point of view"

"I see life and light
All the colors of the world
So beautiful
Won't you come with me?
I see birds and trees
All the flowers of the world so beautiful
Won't you come with me"

You're probably scratching your head asking what this has to do with anything.

A lot of us view diets and exercise as "punishment" or "stressful" or "I am miserable because I can't eat that".

But let's break it down.  By eating right and exercising, you're giving your body the nutrients that it needs.  By not eating crap you are fueling your body the way it should be fueled.  By exercising, you are helping your body become more efficient in burning calories.  You sleep better, you break your food down better.  By drinking water, your skin gets clearer, cellulite diminishes.

Why is that considered punishment?  Why is helping your body get healthy being perceived to be so bad?  

Today, I didn't go to the circuits class and as I am very hard on myself I instantly felt horrible.  I put my new jeans on and it gave me a muffin top.  I felt horrible and guilty.

But then I looked at myself.  I looked past the big, gloopy tummy and focused on my legs.  My legs are starting to look shapely again.  I know that I have miles to go but there are early signs of what is to be.  

My shoulders, when I lift weights, I can start to see the beginning of beautiful sculpted shoulders.  Again, a glimpse of what is to be.  

That muffin top is a reminder that I do have a way to go but there are 2 paths to take.  Get there by picking out every lump, bump, cellulite, hating my muffin top and dreading each day, then binging and having to star over again.  Or I could get there by trying new foods, working with my Personal Trainer, starting to see those parts on my body that are starting to come through, celebrating my curves.  Taking more time to take care of my body, having long hot baths, putting my expensive body butter on my body after a shower.  Again, I have at least 84 pounds to go until I am down what the weight I should be (according to doctors) but a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  
I am over the hardest part.  The first week sucks balls.  Not only did I shed 6 pounds in a week and drop inches, but I am now over food cravings.  I am feeling more confident about this journey.  I have the help of a great trainer, I have the support of my best friend and my boyfriend, this is all down to me.  I am in control of the journey, no one else.

So yes, I didn't go to my class.  But yes, I ate exceptionally well today.  I am looking forward to doing my circuit tomorrow.  I learned from my mistakes, I am going to take advice from my trainer and I am going to fix that issue.

So tomorrow, onwards and upwards!  

1 comment:

  1. You know- one of the highlights of me entire day is coming in and reading your blog post and seeing how your day fared. This blog isnt all sugar and spice and optimism with no pain and difficulties...it's REAL life and dealing with all the trials and misadventures in the day to day struggle to give us a healthier life. Thank you for showing that we can try and do well...and try and fail- and then try again and never give up on ourselves because we are strong!!!

    ReplyDelete