Saturday 7 March 2015

On Hot Yoga Class

Breakfast:  strawberry, blueberry, raspberry smoothie

Lunch: sun dried tomato couscous

Dinner:  chicken tikka masala with pilau rice 

Dessert: Ben and Jerry's chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream

Exercise:  60 minute hot yoga class

Thoughts:

Well this morning I tried my very first hot yoga class.

It didn't start you well as I couldn't find the studio in Maghull. I ended up rocking up 3-4 minutes late. 

I took my shoes off and left them outside and rushed in with my new yoga mat and a 2 liter bottle of water. 

There were 6 people plus the instructor who was a very slender man in his 40's.When I entered, the room was hot, the lights were off and everyone was laying down on their backs doing deep breathing exercises. I made my excuses and found a spot on the far side of the room.

I laid on my back and joined in the deep breathing exercises. We then started to do several different poses. 

Now I am not the most flexible person I the world. I felt a bit silly but the instructor must have picked up on my thoughts. He said that getting the poses perfect will come in time. Just focus on breathing and allow your body to flow into the poses.

So I did my best. I looked around and no one was a stereotypical dreadlocked hairy skinny looking hippy. The girl next to me was average looking. She wore a really cool asymmetrical crop top with yoga pants. Besides her every one else was like me. Carrying extra weight. I felt comfortable and relaxed.

The poses were difficult. But I did the best I could. The heat didn't affect me too bad. There were some crazy far out poses that I had to do. And there were some that I couldn't do! 

But saying that, I definitely want to keep this up. I think that the will help me with my journey. Not just for the exercise but because it's an hour without screaming, shouting, stress or drama. It's just time for me to take care of myself body and soul. And that to me is the most important thing of all.

Also I have been 7 days without an alcoholic beverage. That is fab!

So tomorrow I have a session with Kathryn and I'm looking forward to the week ahead!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful!!! I was wondering how things went.....why do they call it Hot Yoga?

    ReplyDelete