Sunday 31 August 2014

August 31st Day 8 --> Interval Training

Breakfast:  Oatmeal with strawberries and bananas with almond milk

Main Meal:  Chicken with fajita spices and salad with bacon, olives, jalepenos and chopped tomatoes with garlic

Drinks:
Paleo coffee
2 litres of water

Exercise:  Leg workout
Leg press 6 sets starting with 170 kilos and then dropping 10 kilos per set
Leg curls 3 sets of 7 starting with 55 kilos and then dropping 5 kilos per set
Leg extension 3 sets of 7 starting with 55 kilos and then dropping 5 kilos per set
Leg abductor 3 sets of 10 at 40 kilos
Leg adductor 3 sets of 10 at 40 kilos
Calf muscle exercise 3 sets of 10 each set 90 kilos
Squats 20 reps with 25kg
           20 reps with 15kgs
           20 reps with 10kgs
15 minutes of interval training on the treadmill
20 crunches
20 cross over crunches
20 pelvic tilts

Gym Playlist:
Example - "Changed the Way You Kissed Me"
Kasabian - "Fire"
Vampire Weekend - "A Punk"
Madcon - "Beggin'" (Surprised that I didn't strip down and get freaky...this song brings out my inner stripper)
The Gossip - "Heavy Cross"
Pearl Jam - "Alive"
The Prodigy - "Breathe"
Nero - "Guilt"
The Bring it Home Song -->  Stone Roses - "She Bangs the Drum s" (I'll explain this in below)

Abs Workout song - Arcade Fire - "Reflektor"

Thoughts:
I used to do a lot of spinning classes and I have found that they not only had me walking like John Wayne (it's either because you work your butt out or the seat is so fucking uncomfortable...a muff cushion is needed!!) but I wasn't enjoying them.  I was usually the class fattie and the instructor would tell me to turn the pace down because I was fat.  That's the reason why I have gone back to weights.  Classes work for some people but they don't work for me.  Plus the music they play in the classes tends to be shit.

My workouts are predominately weight based and then I do interval training.

Interval training has scientifically been proven to be one of the best ways to lose weight. It can be done on an elliptical trainer, a bike or in my case, a treadmill.

My interval training on the tread mill is like a circuit, 3 minutes per circuit. This is how it is broken down:

From Minute 0 - 1 -->  Walk
From Minute 1 - 2 -->  Jog
From Minute 2 - 3 -->  Sprint.

Repeat for as many as you can do.  I used to be able to do this for 21 minutes.  I am currently at 15 minutes and those 15 minutes are difficult.  Right now, my settings on the treadmill are a 0.5% incline on the treadmill.  My walking pace is 4 kilometres per hour , the jog pace is 7.5 kilometres per hour and the sprint is 10 kilometres per hour.  (When I was fitter, I was sprinting faster and jogging faster)  Next week I will increase the speed slightly then the next week increase the time to 18 minutes.

I won't lie, it's hard.  Really, really hard.  But it has been proven that 20 minutes of this sort of training really helps with fat loss.

The diet is going really well.  It's getting easier to deal with.  Tonight we had fajitas (or as my bezzie calls them "fry-jeters") and the boyfriend had the fajitas with cheese, salsa and the tortilla wraps.  I had the chicken with the onion and red pepper but in a salad.

I have been drinking water with lemon and lime (I love limes.  If it was socially acceptable, I would put lime in everything!!) which makes drinking water more palatable.

So next week, I am going to focus on my workouts, increase the intensity and keep going!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment