Tuesday 7 April 2015

Glitch in the Running

Breakfast:  Strawberry, banana, cucumber, lemon, ginger, mint and lime

Lunch:  3 bean salad with cucumber, red pepper, spring onion, olives, feta, coriander with white wine vinegar, black pepper and salt

Dinner:  Turkey breast (grilled), salad, feta with white wine vinegar and olive oil

Exercise:  60 minutes on the stepper/cross trainer

Playlist:

Thoughts:

I have a confession to make.  I do enjoy bank holidays.  Being off for a few days from the hustle and bustle of work is fab but I am a creature of habit.  So my workouts and eating go completely tits up.

Over this bank holiday weekend, I drank alcohol (I'm back on my no drinking) and my eating wasn't the best.

So I am back on it.

There is a slight problem, though.  Just as I got into my running, my left knee has decided that it doesn't like this at all.  So I have a massive pain in my left knee.  This (miraculously) disappeared on Easter Sunday (my Religious Italian Mama insists this was a miracle) so I went to the gym on Monday and decided to try and run wearing a leg brace while wearing some cheap insoles.  Bad idea.

I spoke to Kathryn about it and she thinks, judging by my symptoms, it can be 1 of 3 things.

1.  As my workouts were mostly weights based, my "cardio" muscles are out of practice.  (Plus I haven't run for ages)

2.  I am slightly out of line.  Kathryn noticed that when I was doing a push up, I tended to favor my left hand side.  She thinks that because this side is constantly overcompensating, it is more injury prone.

3.  I am not 18 anymore.  I don't weigh 125 pounds anymore.  I am well over weight and the fact that all this weight is slamming down on my knee, that's going to cause pain.

I am not going to let this set back get me down.  So I have done some research and it is the elliptical/stair stepper for me!!  Less impact on my knees as my feet are not leaving the pedals.  I can burn roughly the same amount of calories and hopefully as the weight comes off I can get back onto the running.

Plus I found different exercises that I can do on the cross trainer that are great for fat loss.  So I am going to incorporate them into my workout.

Tonight I did 60 minutes on the cross trainer doing a hill program.  I pushed myself and sweated hard. And I burned an impressive 679 calories. Boosh!!!!

So I have found a fab cardio workout I can do. Tomorrow lets do it again! Onwards and upwards!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment