Wednesday 8 April 2015

On Food Substitutions

Breakfast:  Lemon, lime, ginger, cucumber, cayenne pepper, and water  (I'm going to call this my morning juice from now on!)

Lunch:  3 bean salad, feta, spring onion, red pepper, olives, cucumber, white wine vinegar and black pepper

Snack:  Cottage cheese

Dinner:  Chilli with rice

Exercise:  rest

Thoughts:

Now that I am on the road to success with my eating and exercise, I now am exploring substitutions for fattening old foods.

I used to make a nice healthy salad and then dump a load of mayonnaise on it turning my salad into a fattening meal.  Not very good if you are trying to lose weight!  So I have been coming up with different ideas and researching different nutritious foods that I can put into my day to day eating.

For example, my salad last night.  I put olive oil and balsamic vinegar with some cracked black pepper on it.  The olive oil has more calories but it is far more nutritious than a low fat salad dressing, which you will find, has a lot of sugar in it.  Olive oil also has omega 3 fatty acids which are good for your body.  Sometimes it's not about quantity (the amount of calories in the food) it's the quality.

I always have rice with my chilli.  I have read up about quinoa and I found that quinoa has more calories than rice, but it also has more protein.  It seems to be a good substitute for starchy things like pasta, couscous and things like that.  I once bought quinoa and tried to prepare it and it ended up not working out too well as in it was a sloppy, watery mess so I haven't gone back.  But looking at the health benefits and such, I want to try it again and see if I can get it right and use it in a few different recipes.

I am feeling a lot better about everything, I know I am on route to make April my best! Onwards and upwards!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment